A Texas Trifecta
Since Austin is home to one of the largest conferences in the world, we pay tribute to SXSW with our favorite Southwestern-inspired soup.
Great Things Come In 3s
Interactive, Film and Music are to SXSW as food, design and landscape are to Home Style Austin. This recipe? Turkey gets spiced up with its 3 tastiest BFFs: Black beans, corn and roasted red pepper. The end result? It’ll have your tummy doin’ the Texas 2-step, er, 3-step!
- Roast your red pepper on the grill or gas stove top by placing the pepper directly on grill or stovetop over medium-high heat. As the skin turns black, turn the pepper and continue blackening on all sides until the pepper is done. Place the pepper in a paper bag or Ziploc bag or bowl covered with cling wrap and let it steam for 15 minutes. Peel the skin off and discard, remove the seeds, then dice the pepper.
- If you want to enjoy this recipe on the SXSWern fast track, you can substitute the fresh corn, roasted pepper and black beans with 1-2 bags of Bird’s Eye frozen Southwest Blend Veggies. I like the roasted fresh track because of the smoky pepper flavor.
Dash | Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Pound | Lean Ground Turkey
1 | Roasted Red Pepper, Diced
1 Cup | Frozen Corn
1 Can (15 Ounces) | Ranch Style Black Beans
1 Can (15 Ounces) | Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce-No Salt Added
2 Cups | Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 Can (10 Ounces) | Original Flavor RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (undrained)
½ Teaspoon | Taco Seasoning Mix
To Garnish | A Squeeze Of Lime
To Garnish | Fritos Corn Chips Want In On The Party
1. If you’re preparing this recipe with fresh roasted peppers, prepare the red pepper (directions above). While the roasted pepper is resting…
2. Lightly pour some olive oil into the bottom of a large saucepan and warm the oil.
3. Add the turkey and cook about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until crumbled and no longer pink.
4. Add the roasted diced pepper and corn to the turkey; cook and stir 3-5 minutes until tender.
5. Add the next 5 ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
Garnish and serve warm. Enjoy!
~ Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder
Keller Williams Realty, Inc.
❤ Love Food? In a click and a scroll you can visit more of my family’s favorite recipes!