A Sensationally Savory Sandwich
When you pair the best cheddary-cheesy biscuit with the best chicken nugget, great things happen. Let’s dive on in!
Time To Prepare:
About 30-45 minutes
❤ You can bake the chicken strips in the oven but the instructions below are for an air fryer. An air fryer cooks quicker than the oven and crispier than both the microwave or the oven – it’s my favorite kitchen appliance!
❤ While I highly recommend the cheddar biscuits below you can substitute your own favorite biscuit.
❤ What are the benefits of using tapioca flour? You just found them!
for the biscuits:
1 Package | Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix
¾ Cup | Cold Water
½ Cup | Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
⅓ Cup | Butter, Softened (I use unsalted Falfurrias)
1 Pouch | Garlic Herd Blend (included with mix)
for the chicken:
2 Pounds | Boneless Chicken Breasts, Cut Into Biscuit-Sized Pieces
¼ Cup | Dill Pickle Juice
1 | Cage Free Egg, Beaten
2 Tablespoons | Coconut Milk
¼ Cup | Tapioca Flour
1 Tablespoon | Paprika
1 Teaspoon | Sea Salt
1 Teaspoon | Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon | Garlic Powder
Dash | Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon | Vegetable Oil
To Serve (Optional) | Lettuce, Thinly-Sliced Tomato, Pickles
To Serve (Optional) | Condiments (Honey Mustard, Ketchup, Mayonnaise)
What To Do:
1. Let’s brine the chicken by placing the chicken and dill pickle juice into a Ziploc bag. Marinate these in the fridge for about an hour.
2. Prepare the biscuit dough according to the package directions. Scoop them onto a greased baking pan and set aside. I use a 3 Tablespoon sized OXO cookie scoop which makes forming the perfect-sized biscuits a snap!
3. Preheat your oven to 425°F – this is for the biscuits – not the chicken.
4. Remove the chicken from the fridge and discard the pickle juice. Add the beaten egg and coconut milk to the bag and let everything mingle for 5-10 minutes. Discard the excess liquid and set aside.
5. Combine the dry ingredients (the tapioca flour, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper) in a medium-sized bowl. Add this dry mix to the bag of chicken and mix everything together until well combined.
6. Place the biscuits in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. While the biscuits are baking…
7. …Pour 1 Tablespoon of oil into the bottom of the air fryer. Then place your coated chicken into your air fryer basket and set it to 400°F for about 10-12 minutes, flipping the chicken at the midway mark.
8. To serve remove the biscuits from the oven. Slice them in half and top with chicken. Dress your chicken sandwich with your favorite toppings and enjoy! (I used my homemade honey mustard, lettuce, and mayo as shown. I would have used tomato but I was out!) Ketchup would be an easy substitute. :)
~ Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder
Keller Williams Realty