Caramel Brownie Bars
This recipe has become a family fall time favorite thanks to our friends caramel and chocolate.
Add them to your favorite cake mix and your favorite chopped nut and you’ve got a sweet treat that will likely have you making a second batch.
❤ If you’re a wee bit shy of walnuts, try substituting Texas pecans. Yee, Haw!
❤ I added a sprinkling of toffee bits to the recipe which sent my tastebuds into outer orbit.
❤ Top a warmed brownie bar or two with a scoop of ice cream for a delightfully-decadent treat!
24 | Caramels, Unwrapped
2/3 Cup | Evaporated Milk
2-Layer Size (about 15.25 oz.) | Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup | Chopped Walnuts or Texas Pecans
6 Tablespoons | Falfurrias Brand Butter, Unsalted, and Melted
1/2 Cup | Semi-Sweet Chocolate Pieces
Sprinkling | Toffee Bits (optional)
0. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
1. In a saucepan, cook the caramels and 2 tablespoons of the evaporated milk over low heat until the caramels are melted. Cover and turn off heat. (Optional method: you can also melt the caramels in the microwave, stirring after 20-30 second intervals.)
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the remaining evaporated milk, the cake mix, nuts and butter; mix well.
3. Spread 1/2 of the cake mixture in a greased 13″ x 9″ x 2″ baking pan or ceramic dish.
4. Bake in your warmed-up oven for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the brownie from your oven and sprinkle the chocolate pieces and toffee bits (if using) over the hot baked crust and drizzle the caramel mixture on top. Drop the remaining cake mixture by teaspoons evenly spaced on top. If there are some bare “holes,” no worries; they will fill-in during the final bake.
6. Return the brownie to your oven and bake for 20 minutes more or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Remove the magic from your oven … cool a bit … then cut into bars.
Shazam! You just made something they’re gonna love twice; they’ll love the brownie treats plus love you for making them!
Now sit back and relax with a warm brownie or two for a job well done!
Makes 24-36 bars, depending on size.
~ Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder
Keller Williams Realty, Inc.
❤ Love Food? In a click and a scroll you can visit more of my favorite recipes!