This stuffed mushrooms recipe was given to me by Christina – she’s my newest neighbor and fellow foodie fan. One bite of the teaser samples she brought and we knew we needed the recipe! Christina said she always makes these mushrooms in the fall – I think you’ll agree that the warm taste of toasted walnuts makes this a welcomed appetizer or side bite.
Last night I served my first batch at a “welcome to your new neighborhood” party I hosted for my clients in Lakeway and these were a big hit so I promised the partygoers I would post the recipe here at the Home Style Austin Blog. So, here goes:
If you have any leftover mushroom mixture (below) it’s really good sprinkled on pasta tossed with brown butter, garlic and a few red pepper flakes.
For an easy trick to core the mushrooms, try using a grapefruit spoon (as shown).
30 – 35 | Mushrooms (Baby Bella/Crimini).
1 ½ | Sticks of Butter
2 | Shallots
To Taste | Flat Leaf Parsley, Chopped
½ Cup | Walnuts, Toasted and Chopped
½ Block | Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated
¼ Cup | Panko Breadcrumbs
¼ Cup | “Plain” Breadcrumbs
To Taste | Salt
To Taste | Fresh Cracked Pepper
To Taste | Herbs de Provence
What To Do:
0. Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Carefully clean/brush the mushrooms, remove and finely chop the stems. Set aside.
2. In a pan, melt a little less than one stick of the butter. Roll the mushroom caps in butter and set them on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
3. Finely chop the shallots and sauté them with the chopped shrooms in the remaining butter. When done remove the mixture from heat and stir-in the chopped parsley, toasted chopped walnuts, cheese, breadcrumbs and season to taste with the salt, pepper and herbs de provence.
4. Grab a small handful of the mushroom filling and squeeze it into a ball and press it into the mushroom cap. Top the mushroom with more mixture, if desired. Repeat until all mushrooms are filled.
5. Bake the mushrooms at 350°F until soft, about 15 minutes.
Transfer to serving plate and serve warm.
~ Joe Paul Reider
Home Style Austin Founder
Keller Williams Realty, Inc.